Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Jolt

Last night I commanded a dream.

The dream to deliver a solution to my reality. The answers are inside you. That's what they all say so I thought mockingly, 'why not be bold in my tantrum.'

Lately, I've become quite good at demanding things and like the Sorceress conjuring a love spell, my wish came true.

I dreamt I was desired. And though I laughed and smiled no, our clothes vanished, and we were exposed.

No shame fell when the lights shined overcast and we were discovered delighting in each other. We wrestled like children, pure and trustingly soft in our caresses.

Mere strangers, shocked and scorning, possessed no power. We played on.

When the 6 AM ring
jolted me back into consciousness, I felt the descending weight of
fear.

I was a child again
in my mother's bed; the imprint of her form still pressed in the pillow.

All my pouts had not changed my present state. What trickery is this! She says.

But before the jester could give Her Majesty a banter, I got up, placed the shackles of the mundane on my back, painted my lips a sunset magnolia, took out my bus pass and went to work.

4 comments:

Ed Pilolla said...

i love it. i love the insights, the way you walk me through the experience. i like that it's short, punchy, and i like the little color at the end. it's moving. your dream is universal in so many ways. great piece. love you.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany! This is incredible... you know, I thoroughly believe we can be whole and present even smack dab in the middle of Melancholy... Bask in this gloom woman! It'll be gone before you know it... xoxoxo Much Sisterly Affection.

Unknown said...

This is really moving Tiff. I think you are extremely successful in conveying the feeling of loneliness and despair in the habitual confrontation of the mediocre life. My favorite is the last line, as it defines life; life goes on. I thoroughly agree with the comments before mine. I can empathize, as I think many people can at different points in their lives when reality does not fit expectations. I know things have been really tough for you lately and despite displaying beautiful literary creativity I first and foremost hope that you are holding up. Love you and know that I am a half an hour away-

Anonymous said...

" paint my lips magnolia..." - one of the best phrases in a piece full of 'em. Breathtaking. I lust this.